After accepting the outstanding achievement award at The Fashion Awards 2018, here are 10 quotes of note from the convention-defying designer – Miuccia Prada
There are few designers working today who elicit the kind of emphatic praise bestowed on Miuccia Prada, for good reason – her clothing, at once thoughtful and provocative, unconventional and beautiful, has resolutely set the path of 21st-century fashion. Her resonance, at both namesakes Prada and Miu Miu, comes from her ability to challenge the traditions of luxury and beauty, making the banal covetable and the ugly chic. But more, she has made Prada into cultural force, entwining fashion, politics and art at once – Fondazione Prada, the extensive complex in Milan she opened with husband Patrizio Bertelli in 2015, is now one of the leading modern art institutions in the world.
She received the award for outstanding achievement at The Fashion Awards 2018 in partnership with Swarovski, selected for her pioneering work across disciplines.
- “When I do ugly things it’s completely intentional. In the end, if you always do only what you like, it becomes boring, you don’t grow, you don’t learn anything new”
2. “When everything has been done, sometimes the only possibility left to be different is the idea of the traditional and the conservative”
3. “Someone once asked me, ‘Why art? Why fashion?’ and I said, ‘Because they are my instruments.’ If I were a doctor, I would use the available science. They are instruments of knowledge used to make ideas available”
4. “Something that has become old fashioned is this obsession with youth, it’s boring! And the idea to dress only comfortably, what does it mean? Who cares? Things can also be complicated, as life is”
5. “I think what counts in life are the same for all of us: fear, love, death, sickness, joy, childhood, friendship, probably hate, that is upsetting, I don’t feel it so much. These are the things that have moved humanity forever, these are the things that really count”
6. “When they ask me how I can be elegant, well dressed – I say study! (Laughs) Study fashion, study movies, study art and after that study yourself”
7. “Women have more facets. We are so much more complex. We are lovers, mothers, workers… We have to be beautiful…”
8. “Then [when she was 15] I started really having fun. I was out, out, out. I remember turning my skirt into a mini-skirt on the stairs before going to school and taking it down again before coming back”
9. “It’s not necessarily about being rich or expensive but you don’t have to be banal; dressing and elegance is more complicated than that. You have to try and elevate the level of dressing in some way, make it more thought out”
10. “I used to wear Saint Laurent all the time. I always liked the bourgeoisie. I was intrigued by the bourgeoisie. But mainly that was the culture of the 60s and 70s, Antonioni, Godard, Buñuel. Now it’s a subject that’s not so relevant anymore”